what to feed wild bees ?

what to feed wild bees ?

Post  Guest on Sun Apr 10, 2011 5:15 pm

I feed the wild birds over winter and spring but wondered how to help the bees that are now appearing in my garden .
    There are so few flowers out and worry they are hungry and may be in need of assistance .
    I have in the past fed bees honey but this only worked when the bee was exhausted and couldnt
    fly away but wondered if there was someway of putting food out on a daily basis and what is best to put out ?

The huge big bummble bee that got in the house the other day was covered in mites and had no pollen on its legs.
    I was worried that it was really going to struggle and would like to have helped

I know there are lots of good flowers on a more long term naturistic level and am working on this but wondered if there was anything instant and direct Flowers
    any ideas

Mercuriel
    Admin
    Admin

Re: what to feed wild bees ?

Post  Mercuriel on Sun Apr 10, 2011 6:30 pm

http://www.beeworks.com/informationcentre/feeding.html

Thubs Up

Too bad Carol isn't here ATM - She keeps Bees and could likely tell You quite a bit. PM Her about It and I'm sure She'd be more than glad to help You out with good Advice.

Wink

Peace, Light, Love, Harmony and Unity...

Mercuriel
    Admin
    Admin

Post  Mercuriel on Sun Apr 10, 2011 6:31 pm

Er - Ah - She is here...

Let Me send Her a PM with this Thread as a Link.

Wink

Peace, Light, Love, Harmony and Unity...

Carol
    Admin
    Admin

Post  Carol on Sun Apr 10, 2011 11:31 pm

I just put wild honey out in the empty hive in our garden silver. I hope to attract a swarm or queen who is swarming. Honey is the best source of nutrition from them if feeding and the bee keepers here always hold some back for the bees to use until the trees and plants come into bloom.

With deepest respect ~ Aloha & Mahalo, Carol

Post  Guest on Mon Apr 11, 2011 5:33 am

thanks Mercuriel for link will have a good look
    thanks carol
    I dont have a hive so I will just put some out in the garden .since posting have
    read that folk put watered down honey in bottle tops amongst there flowers ,wish i had a hive though .
    I also dont have access to wild honey is it alright to use what honey i can get hold of .
    I have read there can be problems with cross infection for the bees do you think that is a problem ?

silver*

lindabaker

Post  lindabaker on Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:30 am

Silver, my beekeeper friend here in Georgia uses only wild organic honey to feed the bees. She just leaves two or three hives full of honey for them. She doesn't harvest all of it. Christine plants two acres of organic wildflowers just for the bees...Anyway, she says that commercial honey is made by feeding the bees a mixture with high fructose corn syrup in it...and I assume that it is not a good practice. I have been listening to the bees, and they have little voices, am I crazy or what? We have very large black and yellow bumblebees nesting right now in our cedar home. They come every year. Has anyone got any data on slowing down recordings of their buzzing to see if we can determine their language? It's high frequency sound, and I am intuiting that the bees among other wildlife are realizing that some of us may actually want to listen to them now. Are you a bee whisperer?

Post  Guest on Wed Apr 13, 2011 3:16 pm

Thanks everyone for all the advice flower

Maybe the bees are whispering to me or may be its commonsense
    but I have decided not to meddle with things I dont know enough about.
    Last thing I want to do is make any bees ill .
    Read that bees will self medicate with thyme ,mint and catnip
    so I am going to work on the plant side of things and they can decide what they need
    cheers
    silver*

lindabaker

Post  lindabaker on Wed Apr 13, 2011 6:28 pm

What a great idea to plant the thyme and mint and catnip! I could post for you a recipe for an Argentinian drink, called a Mojito, which requires lots of fresh mint. Mint is quite prolific so you will have plenty. And then, you can enjoy your bee garden even more. I really like that you are caring for the bees, you must be a wonderful person. Linda

Carmen

Post  Carmen on Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:51 pm

Hi Linda,

My daughter was given two hives last year and is learning how to bee keep. She now goes out and works with them with no protection whatsoever. She just keeps calm and talks to them. Ive dubbed her the bee-whisperer!! We now have varroa mite here in New Zealand, slowly making its way down from the North Island. One way to check this is to dust the frames with icing sugar. (saw this on the internet). The bees groom each other to eat the sugar and also eat the mites. Dont know anything about bees, but I like honey.

Cheers

Carmen

lindabaker

Post  lindabaker on Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:25 pm

Oh, Carmen, Mudra and I have been trying to find out how you are. When the quake hit Christchurch, we had thoughts of you. Mercuriel saw you helping people, and I sensed the same. So glad to see you posting, and tell your daughter she's magical. I mean, to stay calm enough around bees is a challenge, right? Glad to see ya, Carmen. Linda

Post  Guest on Thu Apr 14, 2011 3:38 am

Thanks linda for your kind words I love having the bees around .
    last year we had a bumble bees nest under the hut, they were huge big fat things ,wasps in the composter
    and hedghogs under a wee play hut . Feels like you are getting things right when criters want to move in !
    our garden is not big and looking more like an allotment these days Very Happy
    I dug a small pond (puddle really ) abought a 1meter long last year ,put rocks round it and some plants
    and we had 2 toads winter with use .another wee frog has appeared and we have frog spawn !
    they dont ask for much !
    we are blessed cheers

silver*

Carol
    Admin
    Admin

Post  Carol on Sat May 04, 2013 2:21 pm

An interesting article by Christina Sarich appeared today in Natural Society on the Bioelectromagnetics re: bees and flowers: "While plants are usually negatively charged, bees can build up to a 200-volt charge as they fly through the air. When they land on a flower, this electric charge helps the bee and flower ‘talk’ to one another. This electric relationship is not entirely understood by researchers just yet, as scientists don’t’ know exactly how bees (or flowers) detect electrical fields."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zc_NFh1Nu6s
    Beekeeping for Beginners - Adding Bees

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZMbBQkgpCuo
    5 Steps to Get Into Beekeeping for Beginners

With deepest respect ~ Aloha & Mahalo, Carol

Current date/time is Fri Dec 19, 2014 5:58 am