tMoA

~ The only Home on the Web You'll ever need ~

TEDx Talks

Pris

Re: TEDx Talks

Post  Pris on Sat Jun 25, 2016 11:58 pm

The Big Question - Peter Joseph - TEDxOjai

Peter Joseph is a director, writer, producer, editor, composer and creator of the Zeitgeist movies series. He is an independent filmmaker who has written, directed, narrated, scored and produced three non-commercial, self-produced and freely-distributed documentary films: Zeitgeist: The Movie, Zeitgeist: Addendum and Zeitgeist: Moving Forward. He is also the founder of "The Zeitgeist Movement", which is a social sustainability organization with members now in nearly every country. His work with The Movement is now a large part of his daily activities -- giving lectures and helping to produce relevant media/materials to spread the interest for a new social system.

In this talk, Peter Joseph examines todays economy and reflects our environmental misalignment and the value war.

"What can we do to inspire change and social reform?"

.........................................................................................................."What will you do?"
    Pris

Post  Pris on Mon Jun 27, 2016 4:56 am

Consider this a 'follow up' to the last TEDx video. Wink  

Peter Joseph: Awesome rant on the nature of profit

http://thezeitgeistmovement.com/faq

https://www.thevenusproject.com/the-venus-project/
    Pris

Post  Pris on Mon Jul 18, 2016 5:26 am

Healing illness with the subconscious mind | Danna Pycher | TEDxPineCrestSchool

Surviving an accident was the easy part; coping with the chronic pain would prove more difficult. Danna Pycher shares her story about trauma and the transformative insight she gained that allowed her to harness the healing power of the subconscious mind.

Danna Pycher is a certified Neuro-Linguistic Hypnotherapist specializing in chronic illness and trauma. She is also a motivational speaker and coach. Her first book 3rd Generation and Beyond is a beautiful, powerful book of life philosophies according to a third generation Holocaust descendant. " A must read for the young and old who are trying to find an identity or just need a reminder on how to appreciate the little things in life." She enjoyed many years in broadcasting as an on-camera host, reporter, and producer working in the fields of health reporting and corporate productions. Her curiosity about the nature of human beings is what guides her professional pursuits.
    Pris

Post  Pris on Tue Jul 26, 2016 5:38 am

How to stop screwing yourself over | Mel Robbins | TEDxSF

Mel Robbins is a married working mother of three, an ivy-educated criminal lawyer, and one of the top career and relationship experts in America. Widely respected for her grab-'em-by-the-collar advice and tough love, Robbins drills through the mental clutter that stands between people and what they want. Her approach is smart, effective and entertaining. Five days a week, Mel hosts her own syndicated radio show The Mel Robbins Show, discussing hot topics and giving advice to callers across America. She is starring in a new series, In-Laws, airing this summer on A&E. In addition, she writes a monthly column for Success Magazine, is a former CNBC contributor and is the co-founder of Advice for Living, Inc., which develops products and television programming with experts in the wellness, health, relationship and career categories.

Most nights, once the kids are in bed, you'll find Mel at home with a bourbon on the rocks and her Australian Shepherd at her feet, writing about life, love and everything else on her award-winning blog: www.melrobbins.com

Exploration and growth
    requires you to
    get outside your comfort zone.
    Force yourself to act.
    Eartheart

Post  Eartheart on Tue Jul 26, 2016 11:42 am

Pris wrote:.

what 4 is this propaganda here????

pig  powerful book of life philosophies according to a third generation Holocaust descendant. " A must read for the young and old who are trying to find an identity -   hollow descendant as identitty????   Absurd crack!!!
    television programming with experts???  You post tons of that halfbacked canfood - pris, did they poison you or are you remotely controlled???

Most nights, once the kids are in bed, you'll find Mel at home with a bourbon on the rocks and her Dog at her feet-what an ugly commercial is that pris???   Why you throw that at us???[Size matters!]

You
    Force yourself to act out....
    [Dont quote]
    Pris

Post  Pris on Tue Jul 26, 2016 8:53 pm

Eartheart wrote:
    what 4 is this propaganda here????

pig  powerful book of life philosophies according to a third generation Holocaust descendant. " A must read for the young and old who are trying to find an identity -   hollow descendant as identitty????   Absurd crack!!!
    television programming with experts???  You post tons of that halfbacked canfood - pris, did they poison you or are you remotely controlled???

Most nights, once the kids are in bed, you'll find Mel at home with a bourbon on the rocks and her Dog at her feet-what an ugly commercial is that pris???   Why you throw that at us???

You
    Force yourself to act out....

You are amusing, Eartheart!  I'll give you that.  I love you

Propaganda!  I think you may be overreacting just a wee bit.  

None of that is my words.  It's all from the video.  The bolded part -- I just thought I'd sum it up (it's not directly a quote, so I couldn't quote it).  Personally, I'm not all that emotionally connected to this.  I just found it interesting and somewhat insightful... maybe even helpful.

I had nothing to do with the bourbon thing.  Besides, who am I to judge?  If it makes her happy, who cares? Very Happy

Eartheart

Post  Eartheart on Thu Jul 28, 2016 2:59 am

Who cares babe, i know its not your poop but the cats,
    just trying to let your awareness find your blind spots,
    cause it sux beside your funny good intent...

Stop littering and catch some mouserats!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Pris

Post  Pris on Thu Jul 28, 2016 7:26 pm

Eartheart wrote:Who cares babe, i know its not your poop but the cats,
    just trying to let your awareness find your blind spots,
    cause it sux beside your funny good intent...

Stop littering and catch some mouserats!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Litter!  You're calling my stuff LITTER???  Now, THAT'S a personal opinion I do not share. Big Grin 2

What each of us thinks may or may not be helpful is very subjective.  It's surprising where you might find a useful tidbit.

That video... I liked the lady's energy.  Even if I didn't hear a word she said, just watching her made me feel good.

And, in my defense:

Besides, who are you to judge (more often than not) what's useless shite anyway?
    And, then you have the audacity to tell me (more often than I care to count) not to post shite?

How has that worked for you so far, Eartheart?  Oooyeah 1

Keep it up -- I'm enjoying this.  cheers

Eartheart

Post  Eartheart on Thu Aug 04, 2016 9:51 am

Sleep Pris-tess of whatever with an obscured dance.... Double Thumbs Up
    thanx 4 your unknown signal, havent met it anywhere else,
    was just curious of its origin... x-cuse my "annoyance"!!!

Pris

Post  Pris on Thu Aug 04, 2016 5:58 pm

Thanks, Eartheart!  I'll take that as a compliment.

You aren't exactly an average turnip yourself. Oooyeah 1

Pris

Post  Pris on Mon Aug 08, 2016 12:01 am

Gen-X : Masterminds and Lost Minds | Shonte Taylor | TEDxGreatHillsWomen

Shonte Taylor describes her findings after neuroscientific research into generational differences.

Neuroscientist, author, speaker and success coach, Shonté empowers Gen-Xers with the knowledge and tools to hone in on their mental stride and potential during their professional and personal journey. Shonté’s vision is to use her expertise to inspire 100 million people to join the conversation on optimizing their brain and mind.

Are you a Generation Xer?

Are you part of the 'forgotten generation'?

If so, welcome to the club. This is my generation. The Floyd

Generation X was introduced to VCRs.  Magic.

Are you Generation Y?  You grew up with VCRs. Talk about spoiled.

As for poor Generation Z...

What Is Generation X?
    by Jennifer James McCollum

In this article you’ll learn the definition of Generation X and discover its years, size and characteristics including major, defining events like divorce, latchkey kids, the Berlin Wall and the Cold War. You’ll also learn about cultural touchstones like big hair and John Hughes films. There are nearly 3,000 posts on this blog. If you are looking for information about Generation X you have come to the right place.

Generation X Definition

Generation X by broadest definition includes those individuals born between the early 1960s and the early 1980s. The collective persona of Gen Xers is frequently debated and discussed among academicians and marketing experts worldwide. It traditionally applies to North Americans (U.S and Canada); Australia, and various European countries. There are well over 50 million members of Generation X. We are sometimes referred to as Baby Busters because our birth years follow the baby boom that began after World War II. That boom began to decline in 1957. Sometimes, you’ll hear about Generation Jones, a small subculture or subset of Generation X born between 1954 and 1965. Please visit jenx67 . com/tag/generation-jones for related posts.

What Years Are Generation X?

The years for Generation X vary among historians, government agencies and marketing firms.

Neil Howe and the late William Strauss defined the generation in the broadest terms I have come across: 1961 to 1981.
       The United States Social Security Administration defines Generation X as “those born roughly between 1964 and 1979.
       Another federal agency, the U.S. Department of Defense, sets the parameters at 1965 to 1977.
       George Masnick of Harvard University’s Joint Center for Housing Studies sets the Baby Buster years at 1965 to 1984.

Generations stem from shared experiences. Depending on your birth order, the area of the country where you grew up and other influences, you may identify with one generation more than another. That is perfectly fine. All of this is subjective. It’s worth noting the simple definition of a generation found at Dictionary.com.

The entire body of individuals born and living at about the same time…
       The term of years, roughly 30 among human beings, accepted as the average period between the birth of parents and the birth of their offspring.
       A group of individuals, most of whom are the same approximate age, having similar ideas, problems, attitudes, etc. (Compare Beat Generation, Lost Generation, etc.)
       A group of individuals belonging to a specific category at the same time…

The point is, opinions vary on when generations begin and end. In my opinion, people should claim the generation whose collective persona most reflects their own life experiences.

Generation X Ages

The age range for Generation X as of 2016 is 35 to 55 (my broadest definition). In 2011, the first Gen-Xer turned 50 years old and the youngest turned 30. We are currently the “sandwich generation” in America. We are caring for aging parents and raising more than 50 percent of the nation’s children under 18. (May 2014)

How Big Is Generation X?

According to Douglas Coupland, author of Generation X: Tales of an Accelerated Culture, Generation X was born during the single most anti-child phase in American history. In the early 1960s, the birth control pill became widely available, and in 1973, abortion was legalized. These are two factors that are said to have contributed to the generation’s low numbers. According to Jeff Gordinier, in his book, How Generation X Got the Shaft, But Can Still Keep Everything From Sucking, Baby Boomers number 76 million and Millennials, 80 million. Generation X is sandwiched between them with 46 million. This is expertly challenged, however, by the 2010 Census, which puts the total U.S. population around 311.8 million.

The following numbers are for everyone over 18. These individuals collectively represent 236.8 million Americas.

G.I. (born 1901-1924), 4.5 million
       Silent (born 1925-1942), 26.2 million
       Baby Boomer (born 1943-1960), 65.6 million
       Generation X (born 1961-1981), 88.5 million
       Generation Y (born 1982-2001) 18+, 52.0 million
       Two-thirds of the remaining 75 million are Gen Y who are under 18
       The remaining one-third (25 to 30 million) is Generation Z.

So, why do we hear that Generation X is so small when the numbers tell a different story? That’s a great question with a relatively simple answer: immigration.

Characteristics of Generation X

When it comes to generations, characteristics and traits are often referred to as the collective persona. Not everyone buys into generational theory and some accuse historians, marketers and social scientists of stereotyping people. I am not one of these people. I love the book, Generations, by Neil Howe and the late William Strauss. These historians came up with a “bold and imaginative” theory that is based on recurring generational cycles in American history. That history began in 1584. This theory is difficult to summarize, and I couldn’t do it justice even if I tried. A brief overview of the framework, however, may inspire you to check their book out of your local library.

Basically, the historians maintain that generations fall into one of four archetypes and occur in one of four cycles that go on repeating themselves. The archetypes are prophet, nomad, hero, artist and the cycles are high, awakening, unraveling and crisis. Everything they’ve written about Generation X has been spot-on for me. Others may see it differently. With that, here are some of the stereotypical traits of Generation X.

Adrift, Apathetic

In youth and childhood, Generation X was often described as being adrift. The archetype of loner emerged. In reality, members, especially young men, were disenfranchised by a loss of familial support and later technology. Think: Video Games.  In adulthood, the introspective, disconnected Gen-Xer has re-engaged through social media. We’ve discovered that our stories aren’t unique.  In fact, the narratives are strikingly similar. Facebook is dominated by Generation X and through millions of status updates we’ve discovered our shared history,  our shared secrets.

Cynical

Gen-Xers distrust authority and large institutions including corporations, religious institutions and the government. The following is a list of historical events that occurred during Generation X’s coming of age, which contributed to the Gen-Xer-As-Cynic stereotype.

The Energy Crisis of the 1970s
       Watergate
       Iran Contra (1980s)
       Nuclear Disasters including Three-Mile Island
       Silkwood/Kerr McGee
       Union Carbide and Chernobyl
       Space Shuttle Challenger Disaster
       Widespread Layoffs of the 1980s
       Dot Com Boom and Bust of the 1990s
       Corporate Greed
       Clinton-Lewinsky Scandal

In more recent years, the Great Recession has underscored and validated that cynicism. It was Generation X, not Gen Y that founded Occupy Wall Street.

Entrepreneurial

A lot of Gen Xers struggled to find jobs after college. According to a report by the Bureau of Labor and Statistics, the year my husband graduated from college (1988), there was a sharp rise in joblessness among college-educated men age 24 and under. (It rose from 4.8 to 7.9.) READ: No Golden Age For College Graduates published in July 1988. This trend continued until 1991.

The situation wasn’t much better for Gen X women. Thus, many Gen Xers roamed aimlessly after college, unable to secure what they were told a degree entitled them to: A job or at least something more than a McJob. To compound matters, the student loans that Generation X used to finance college, were loaned at a much higher rate than what Baby Boomers enjoyed. For example, my sisters, who are eight and 10 years older than me, 3-percent interest rate loans. My loans, however, were 8 percent. The cost of a college education was higher for Generation X and the jobs were scarce. When you did find one, you couldn’t make enough money to make your loan payments. So we deferred them and deferred them, and some defaulted. It was all so very messy.

Reality Bites

These are some of the themes explored in the iconic Generation X movie Reality Bites. Janeane Garafalo plays a college graduate working as a sales associate at The Gap. The movie made Winona Ryder the darling of Generation X. This and more helped nurture the entrepreneurial spirit of Generation X. Famous Gen X entrepreneurs include the founders of Google, Twitter and Amazon. Interestingly, it also helped nurture one of the prevailing and negative stereotypes of Generation X: the slacker who lives in his parents basement until he’s in his 30s. This image of Gen Xers caused many to distance themselves from identification with their generation. Today, younger Gen Xers take far more pride in the Gen X label than older Xers who endured the original stereotype. Generation X was at one time very much a pejorative.

Educated

Compared to the generations that came before us, Generation X is a highly-educated generation of Americans. More than 60 percent of Gen-Xers have attended college at one time or another.

But, don’t get me started about how they tried to force the metric system on us or killed off our arts and music programs.

Ethnically Diverse

Generation X grew up without segregation. They grew up loving Different Strokes and The Fresh Prince of Bel Air. These cultural influences contributed to a generation that is more accepting and more inclusive of others. Generation X has long embraced diversity. Hip Hop is also widely recognized as the music of Generation X.

Individualistic

Our mothers worked. Our fathers left. Sometimes, it was the other way around. Either way, divorce was a major factor in the developing resourcefulness, independence and self-sufficiency of Generation X. Autonomy was a consequence of unstable childhoods. Interestingly, the lack of coddling in childhood has created a generation of parents who coddle their kids’ every whim. This over compensation is frequently defined as over-parenting. (More on Gen-Xers as parents below.)

Casual Disdain for Everything, Especially Authority

Generation X has often been criticized for a snarky and casual disdain for authority. In the workplace, they want freedom coupled with responsibility and they hate being micromanaged. This has created decades of conflict between Baby Boomers and Gen Xers. The American workforce is an interesting state of transition right now because every day thousands of Baby Boomers retire.

Technologically Astute

Gen-Xers have come of age during an interesting time in the world. They remember rotary dial phones and the explosion of mobile technology. They remember Liquid Paper and plunking out term papers on typewriters. They grew up in a world without social media, and yet have adapted to it – even invented it – exquisitely. My friend Shawn who works in IT explained this so well with the following quote. “I prefer this disposition in life over being from the past and moving to the future. Or being from the future and wondering about the strangeness of the past.”

Flexibility

Maybe it was our turbulent childhoods, but Generation X has proven highly adaptable to change. We saw our parents lose so many jobs, we remained committed to making changes whenever necessary in order to get ahead. This has contributed to Generation X being viewed as disloyal to employers or uncommitted to jobs. In reality, Gen-Xers are committed to their own survival.

Work-Life Balance

Gen-Xers value work-life balance. How else could we coach soccer in the fall, basketball in the winter, baseball in the spring all while serving as Boy Scout Troop leader? Gen-Xers value work-life balance because they know the job you sacrifice everything for might not be there tomorrow. So, why give it all and lose your family in the process?

Unprotected Childhood

Generation X was born during the greatest anti-child phase in modern American history. Our childhoods were underscored by the following:

Legalized Abortion (Roe vs. Wade)
       Invention of Birth Control
       Divorce
       Absent Fathers
       Working Mothers
       Latchkey Kids

Gen-Xers in NYC, 1973 A brother and his little sister, Gen-Xers, New York, 1973

Cultural Touchstones of Generation X

This article is an ongoing project and regularly updated. I am still working on the cultural touchstones list. Until I get it done, here is a list of my personal favorites.

Cold, Sugary Cereals

Saturday Morning Cartoons

MTV

MTV especially had a big impact on fashion. Think: Madonna with her lace everything, bustiers and bangles and chains; Michael Jackson jackets, gloves; MC Hammer pants, parachute pants, acid-washed jeans and much more.

Grunge Music

Kurt Cobain

Environmental Disasters

Three-Mile Island, Love Canal, Union Carbide

Flannel

Designer Jeans

Big Hair

Michael Jackson

John Hughes Films

Berlin Wall and the Cold war

Latchkey Kids
    and Divorce

HIV/AIDS and the Safe Sex Movement

Boom Boxes Followed by Walkmans

They gave us the ability to make our music “mobile”.

The word ALTERNATIVE applied to everything from people, music, clothes and more.

Just Say No to Drugs Campaign

Gen X Characteristics | An infographic covering the confusing and sordid parade of pop culture and cartoon characters stalking the minds of Gen Xers for decades.Microwaves and the Explosion of Fast Food Chains

Click on picture to enlarge!

Dance Aerobics and the Fitness Movement

Cable TV and Satellite

The expansion of television from just a few channels that only came in if the weather was just right and the antennae was positioned “just a little more to the right!” to hundreds of channels. The excitement of waiting for Saturday morning cartoons was palpable!

VHS and Video Stores.
    Weekends started with a trip to the video store. The whole family debated and negotiated what to movie to rent.

For entire article, please visit:
    http://www.jenx67.com/who-is-generation-x
    Swanny

Post  Swanny on Wed Aug 10, 2016 4:44 am

This idiot traveled the world and didn't learn a thing Huh ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ehO9nCMGE-Q

Materialistic Xxxxx Dick Head
    Pris

Post  Pris on Wed Aug 10, 2016 7:39 am

Uh-huh.  I have to agree with you, Swanny.  From his materialistic standpoint, he can only pretend he learned something about sympathy and empathy.

On top of that, it's not even about traveling the world: it's an advertisement for an iPhone5S.  I wonder how much kickback he got for that one. tongue  And, then he's milking it for all it's worth doing a TEDx talk.  No shame.

mudra

Post  mudra on Wed Aug 10, 2016 1:25 pm

Two of my favorite Ted talks .

The boy whose invention made peace with the lions

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjapPH6wyGA

Boyd Varty: What I learned from Nelson Mandela

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FV-c2FnPnDE

Love Always
    mudra
    Pris

Post  Pris on Wed Aug 10, 2016 6:01 pm

Thank you for sharing those talks, mudra! cheers

Of course, I love the UBUNTU message in there...  how it's about having empathy for others in whatever form it takes.  When one individual lifts up others with the seemingly effortless ease of intense and selfless loving grace, it reminds us how equally valuable we all are.  Whether animal or human, it's a natural trait we are all capable of.  For some, it is simply a way of being.  I find that kind of boundless, selfless presence -- that unconditional love -- exquisitely beautiful and inspiring.  

Another 'hero' for me is Michael Tellinger of the UBUNTU Liberation Movement.  His heart overflows with his desire to help others and do what he can to ease suffering in the world.  His most recent attempt to gain candidates and support to win UBUNTU Party seats in the South African municipal elections didn't go as well as expected despite overwhelming pre-vote support based on the numbers, but as always, Michael sees the positive side of events.  He is enthusiastic that they have further instilled 'seeds of awareness' into the political beast, and he is excited to continue to spread the UBUNTU message while continuing to unite people and uplift communities with UBUNTU projects all over the world.

http://www.themistsofavalon.net/t8926-ubuntu-liberation-movement#124680

http://www.ubuntuparty.org.za/
    bobhardee

Post  bobhardee on Tue Aug 23, 2016 2:17 pm

8/23/2016
    This is cool. It's worth a watch to the end.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1MRJrm9Gts
    Pris

Post  Pris on Thu Aug 25, 2016 6:18 am

Thanks for sharing that, Bob! sunny  

While watching that video, I'm thinking that maybe one of the problems we face as humanity is our 'dissecting' of the material world, our 'analysis' of it and forgetting our natural connection with it.  I feel that we ourselves are the magical, spiritual connection to the material world.  Each one of us, with our own loving intent, can cure all disease and even slow down and halt aging...  Our thoughts become things.  'Science' becomes passe.

The temptation of 'science' and technology...

There were quite a few moments in the video that felt condescending...

Examples:

There's just one problem:  there's this thing called 'The Law of Physics'.
    Any biology 101 student knows aging is an inevitable consequence of living.

These statements are arrogantly assumptive in and of themselves even IF they're meant to make your audience feel uncomfortable and/or prove a point later on.  I'd say 'conventional' blanket statements like these are clearly something to be avoided even if you're going for cheap laughs.

"Open your eyes to 'new' ideas..."?

Or, maybe, it's just a matter of remembering our greatness...

bobhardee

Post  bobhardee on Fri Sep 02, 2016 3:38 pm

9/2/16

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXHil1TPxvA
    Pris

Post  Pris on Sat Sep 03, 2016 5:11 am

Thanks for sharing this interesting video, Bob. Thubs Up

I think I can use this to make a good point.  Here it goes:

The true power of virtual reality... but what happens when it is in the wrong hands?  The United Nations is behind this.  Need I say more?

We're seeing here the true power of mind manipulation technology -- to elicit emotional response from a target audience -- for propaganda purposes.

These TED talks are generally rather biased because of who sponsors them...  That's why I started this TEDx thread (independent events) -- to help minimize the propaganda videos sponsored by special interest groups/corporations.  

bobhardee

Post  bobhardee on Sat Sep 03, 2016 6:19 am

Pris
    I hate to ask a stupid question but what is wrong with the UN?
    Bob H
    Pris

Post  Pris on Sun Sep 04, 2016 3:18 am

Hey, Bob...  are you sure you're in the right forum?

I think you're lost.

Swanny

Post  Swanny on Sun Sep 04, 2016 3:22 am

It's probably easier to say what's right with the UN
    Pris

Post  Pris on Sun Sep 04, 2016 4:01 am

I just watched a couple of videos in a thread started by Swanny that might actually answer your question, Bob.

Perhaps you will seriously consider the meaning of those two videos with regard to yourself...  For example, you continue to go on about global warming with regard to man-made CO2 as an 'absolute' -- regardless of ample evidence to the contrary simply because the evidence is not toeing the party line.  This is the 'mainstream mindset' -- not straying beyond a rigidly defined boundary.  I see this pattern with you spanning multiple subjects in this forum that's impossible to ignore.

http://www.themistsofavalon.net/t9089-the-sheeple

Pris

Post  Pris on Sun Sep 04, 2016 4:11 am

Swanny wrote:It's probably easier to say what's right with the UN

Yes, Swanny?  You mean like, 'Nothing', right? Very Happy

Anyway... get a load of this (just found it lol).  Crazy... It's something to consider at the very least.

http://www.theforbiddenknowledge.com/hardtruth/united_nations_index.htm

Anyone here familiar with the work of Michael Tsarion? Cool

bobhardee

Post  bobhardee on Thu Oct 06, 2016 3:44 pm

10/6/16

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LVWCqCe1D8Y

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:05 am